Collage Dance, a non-profit, professional ballet company and conservatory is seeking a full-time Ballet Teacher to teach intermediate and advanced ballet classes to students aged 11 – 18 years following the Collage Dance Conservatory’s curriculum and culture. The position also requires a proactive engagement with the other activities of the Conservatory such as performances, summer intensives and community engagement events.
The Ballet Teacher will be responsible for the following essential functions:
- Structure and teach ballet classes following the Conservatory’s curriculum.
- Enforce Conservatory culture and create a rigorous studio environment that is both affirming and challenging.
- Counsel students as required.
- Supervise rehearsals.
- Produce written evaluations on student progress.
- Record and report on student attendance.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings.
- Communicate with parents of students as required and following Collage’s parent communication protocols.
- Record notes of conversations with parents.
- Attend Continuing Professional Development training.
- Coach advanced ballet students towards collegiate, professional and ballet competition pursuits.
- Any other duties as may reasonably be required and that fall within the scope and range of the job.
- Experience of teaching ballet to students aged 11 to 18 years.
- Past professional performing career.
- Proactive and flexible approach to work, willing to be involved in all areas of the Conservatory’s growth and initiatives.
- A commitment to the aims and philosophy of the Conservatory.
- A passion for training young dancers of color and other marginalized groups.
- Basic knowledge of Windows PC systems and Microsoft Office programs such as Word and Outlook or willingness to undergo training.
Hours: Full-time, approx. 30 hours per week, Monday-Saturdays as scheduled. Some flexibility will be required from time to time to cover certain duties.
The salary for this position is $50,000, plus employee health plan, and a competitive vacation package to be utilized when the organization is dark.
Interested candidates should submit a current resume and cover letter to Marcellus Harper at [email protected]. Interested candidates should also include a video of you teaching and, if available, a video of you dancing.
About the company:
For 11 years, Collage Dance Collective has worked to inspire the growth and diversity of ballet by showcasing a repertoire of relevant choreography and world-class dancers representative of our community. The professional company has presented eleven full-length seasons in Memphis, plus national and international touring presenting a diverse range of classical and contemporary choreography. Its institutional arm, the Collage Dance Conservatory, trains nearly 500 kids each year. In December 2020, Collage completed construction on a brand-new state-of-the-art facility designed to expand its programming, training, and impact. The work of Collage Dance Collective has been featured in media outlets including Huffington Post, Allure, Yahoo!, The Commercial Appeal, Vibe, Afropunk and Pointe Magazine. www.collagedance.org