Collage Dance Collective, Inc., a non-profit, professional ballet company and conservatory is seeking a skilled and experienced Controller to manage the company’s accounting and financial management systems and processes. Of particular importance is ensuring accurate accounting and timely reporting of the company’s financial position to staff and Board leadership to make sound financial decisions. The Controller should be comfortable in a fast paced, ever changing arts environment and as the only Finance position on staff, should be comfortable in a hands-on role. The successful candidate must have a strong grasp of all key financial management functions and the ability to do everything from basic accounts payable to budget management and financial analysis. This position supports Collage’s aggressive growth model ensuring accurate and clean books with proper financial procedures.
The Controller will be responsible for the following essential functions:
- Manage and process all finance operations, including payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and bank deposits and transfers.
- Establish and enforce proper accounting methods, policies, and internal controls to ensure conformity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and in alignment with the organization’s growth.
- Ensure all subsystems (studio management software, CRM systems, payroll system, credit cards, bank accounts, etc.) are effectively interfaced with the general ledger.
- Support fundraising operations, including the creation, management, and reporting of grants budgets.
- Carry out the monthly closing of the books across multiple subsystems.
- Manage monthly reconciliation and reprojections with departmental budget managers.
- Prepare accurate financial reports for management and the Board of Directors and assist with financial forecasting.
- Manage cash flow and track fixed assets for short-term and long-term financial planning.
- Work with the Board Audit Committee.
- Support the creation of the annual budget and lead budget forecasting, working effectively with the Executive Director to monitor and manage budgets;
- Prepare annual fiscal reports and coordinate the annual audit, ensuring accuracy across reporting.
- Provide some administrative support to the Executive Director with business matters including licenses, insurance, and benefits.
- Contribute in meaningful ways to the organizational culture.
- Act as an ambassador for Collage Dance in the local community and beyond.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and abilities:
- Demonstrated experience in not-for-profit accounting and financial management.
- Hands-on experience with payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and banking processes/systems.
- Previous experience using QuickBooks Online (preferred but not required).
- CPA and/or degree in accounting or finance.
- Thorough knowledge of generally accepting accounting principles for not-for-profit entities, especially relative to revenue recognition, donor restrictions, grants, and deferrals.
- High attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to communicate sometimes complex financial requirements/processes into simplified terms.
- Excellent Excel skills.
- Detail-oriented and able to see the larger picture in service of holistic and creative problem solving.
Interested candidates should submit a current resume and cover letter to Marcellus Harper at [email protected].
About the company:
For 11 years, Collage Dance Collective has worked to inspire the growth and diversity of ballet by showcasing a repertoire of relevant choreography and world-class dancers representative of our community. The professional company has presented ten full-length seasons in Memphis, plus national and international touring presenting a diverse range of classical and contemporary choreography. Its institutional arm, the Collage Dance Conservatory, trains nearly 500 kids each year. In December 2020, Collage will open a state-of-the-art facility designed to expand its programming, training and impact. The work of Collage Dance Collective has been featured in media outlets including Huffington Post, Allure, Yahoo!, The Commercial Appeal, Vibe, Afropunk and Pointe Magazine. www.collagedance.org